Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

DIY Wax Seals

 

















Hello there, everyone! I hope that the name drew you in and made you want to learn how to make some awesome wax seals without having to buy a kit from the store. This is a fun and easy craft to use on letters or cards the next time you go to send one to a friend. So keep reading to learn the 3 easy steps!


What you will need:

  • hammer
  • tape
  • a quarter
  • crayons
  • a lighter
  • paper
  • a creative spirit!





Step 1:
Take your tape and fold over a small piece to fit on the end of your hammer. Pick a quarter that you like (a quarter with a pretty picture on a side makes for a nice seal) and stick it to the tape on the hammer. Set this aside where it will be easy to grab quickly.






Step 2:
Take your paper you're practicing on or the card or letter you're using and pick the place you want the wax seal to be. Pick a crayon color, grab your lighter, and melt the crayon onto the paper. Be careful not to get the crayon directly in the flame. It will be very tempting because it will melt the fastest there but it will also turn the crayon black as it drips onto the paper. Keep it in the blue underneath the flame and you will be all good!






Step 3:
As soon as you have a big enough area of melted crayon you will need to immediately set aside the lighter and crayon and grab the hammer with the quarter on the end. The crayon will dry fast so press the quarter into it as soon as possible. You will want to press hard but not too hard (I've had the seal come up off the paper before, you don't want this to happen). Leave it there for a few seconds but not too long or it will get stuck to the hammer. This step can be a little tricky so it may take a few times of doing it for you to get it figured out and confident in it.
















And there you have it! You now know how to make your very own wax seal! Wasn't that simple? This is one of my favorite ways to seal a letter to a pen pal, it's so much fun with such a cool result.


As a side note, in case any of you are a curious soul like myself, you can also use a stamp as the design to press into the melted crayon. I tried this last time because I've been curious for awhile if it would actually work or if it would just ruin the stamp. But it didn't! I mean, a little crayon did get stuck up in the crevices of the stamp but it wasn't bad, nothing a tooth pick couldn't get out. 😜


Also, don't forget to actually take the quarter off of the hammer when you're done, especially if you're borrowing the hammer like I did... Yep. True story. Last time I was doing wax seals I borrowed my sister's hammer and completely forgot to take the quarter off. Thankfully she saw it before she began pounding it on the floor! Funny how she knew to come to me to ask why there was a quarter stuck to the end of her hammer... (I may or may not be a bit of a prankster 😆)


I hope you enjoy making your own wax seals and that this blog post was helpful for you!


Blessings,

Shay

8 comments:

  1. I love this post, girlie!!!! 🤩

    -Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so neat! I've heard of using crayons, but never would have thought about using a hammer!

    And SO funny that your sister knows exactly who the culprit was...🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but it works great!

      Haha! 😆 What can I say... 😏

      Delete

Author Interview | Kristina Hall

  Author Interview What made you want to start writing? I’ve always loved stories and have been a big reader of Christian fiction since I wa...